11.05.2008

Even Pirate Voyagers mix things up!

Hey guys! I hope you had a great time making Indian art, I bet they all look great! Sorry I just posted about Malaysia even though I went to Vietnam first. I forgot to put up Malaysia before Vietnam/Cambodia. Oops!
I spent the last five days in Penang, Malaysia, which was so much fun! I really love Malaysia, it is a beautiful country. Malaysia is divided into two parts: one part is called “peninsular” Malaysia, which means it is part of a big piece of land, but it’s surrounded by so much water that it’s almost an island. The other part is called Borneo Malaysia, because the rest of the country is part of a big island called Borneo, made up of lots of jungle. I spent my time in Peninsular Malaysia and a little island nearby called Langkawi.
Malaysia is cool because just like the United States, there are a few different cultures that live together. There are Malay people, whose families have come from Malaysia for a long time; there are Chinese people, and there are Indian people. The Chinese and Indian people have lived in Malaysia for a very long time; their families come from Malaysia, and they were born and grew up in Malaysia. Most Chinese and Indian people I talked to said they had never been to China or India, the place their ancestors (that’s a big long word for “really old family members”, like a great-great-great-great-grandpa) came from.
While I was in Penang, I went to the island of Langkawi. Langkawi is actually an archipelago (AR-kih-PEH-la-go), which is a fancy word for “lots of islands close together”. There are about 90 islands that make up the Langkawi archipelago, and they are all full of trees and very green. Most of them don’t have people on them. One of them, Pulau Payar, is a giant beach that takes up the whole island where people can snorkel and see really cool fish and turtles! “Pulau” means “Island” in Malay. To get there, my friends and I took the Langkawi ferryboat, which is a fast boat that takes people on short trips to the islands near Penang. Riding the ferry was fun, but since I live on a ship it was a lot like being at sea! While we were in Langkawi, we just relaxed and went to the beach. It was beautiful there, and we could see lots of small, very green islands around it. It was one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever been.
I ate some really tasty food in Malaysia. Because there are Malay, Chinese and Indian people in Malaysia, there’s also delicious Chinese and Indian food, along with Thai food, because Thailand is right next to Malaysia. I went to Little India one night, and had even better Indian food than I had in India! My favorite Indian food is a bread called naan. Naan bread looks sort of like pita bread, and is very soft and served hot. There is plain naan, but I also had garlic naan, which has either butter with garlic in it or little pieces of garlic on it, and kashmiri naan, which has little pieces of sweet dried fruit on top. All naan is super delicious, but my favorite is garlic naan.
I also had really delicious Thai food in Langkawi. I had a yummy soup made with coconut milk, lots of limes, and prawns, which are big shrimp. I also had the best rice I’ve ever eaten, with soft, delicious chicken and a spicy sauce on top. Mmmmmm!
Malaysia was a lot of fun, and it was nice to relax on the beach for a few days, because even though all I talk about to you guys is the fun stuff I do in different countries, when we’re sailing I have lots of homework. We will be in Vietnam tomorrow morning, and while I’m there I’ll be travelling to Cambodia! I will tell you all about both of those countries in about a week. Until then!

No comments: